Skip to main content

Incorporate Music Into Your Life

  I woke up the other morning and the first thing on my mind was a song from the 70s.  I can't tell you how long it had been since I had heard it, so I have no idea how I woke to thinking about it.  But, you know what? It wasn't a bad way to wake.
  Music has always been a fairly big part of my life.  I've played in band and orchestra and sang in choirs. I can carry a tune, occasionally sing harmony, and play the flute, but I'm no great musician.   
I've taken ballet, sung karaoke with my daughters, and slow danced with my husband.  I've even taught music and movement classes to littles.  But hey, I understand that you may not know how to read music, play an instrument, or dance.  But there are still ways to enjoy music.  Of course you can always play the radio, but I challenge you to take it farther than that.  You can run to music. Clean to music. Do aerobics to music.  If you're really brave, there are places where you can go to square  or line dance, or maybe even ballroom dance. 
   If all of those things seem a bit too much for you, watch or go to a musical or concert.  There are ways you can enjoy music online.  I just "played" Moonlight Sonata using Touch Pianist.  There are keyboards, lessons, and more, free of charge. Maybe you can sing but would like to learn how to harmonize or learn how to read music. Again, all of this can be done online, free of charge.
   It may be time to join a choir.  First, a caution.  Some people think that they can carry a tune and they can't.  Churches (at least the ones I have been a part of) will accept people into the choir who can't sing a lick.  Please spare your church.  If you have a friend who is both musical and honest go to her and have her tell you if you are one of those people.
    There are just so many ways to begin enjoying music or taking it to a different level.  Music can be relaxing, invigorating, or anything in between.  It can be a vehicle for praising God.  You can even use it to help you grieve. And if you need one last reason to pursue this, know that learning how to play an instrument is good for the brain.

"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness."   Maya Angelou
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tip for the Day - Contact

   John worked with my husband, Tom, for years.  After he retired, they kept in touch from time to time.  In fact, the last time my husband called him was shortly before he died in March.  We didn't know.     Today, my husband received a notice of his memorial service, but it was too late. Sadly, we had actually been in the very town for another memorial service the same day.  We could have easily made both, if we had been aware.    I called his wife to let her know that we were sorry we hadn't made it and to arrange a visit, soon.  That's when she told me that my husband's call, shortly before his death, had meant so much.  She said her husband really missed seeing the guys from work.  A simple call, and yet, a powerful act of friendship.   This evening, while on facebook, a private message popped up.  Years ago, our church had "adopted" a missionary kid.  We remembered her birthday and Christmas, among other things.  At one time, I assumed the task of kee

Of Life and Death

 At 63 years of age, I often think about my passing.  One of my concerns is the reaction of my children.  I see others my age who seem to be quite stuck by the loss of a parent.  I am not.  It would be so much more unnatural and traumatic if one of my children died.  That's just not supposed to happen!  But parents dying before me, that's pretty much a given. First, it starts with grandparents, great aunts and uncles, then filters down to parents and aunts and uncles.  There is only one remaining sibling on my dad's side; three for my mom (she was the oldest).There is no denying that I am at the top of the chain.  It's sobering. I hope my children's thoughts of me will be positive.  I hope they can smile; even shed a tear at times. What I don't wish for them is that they can't let go.  I want them to recognize that this is the order of things.  I want them to be expecting it.  I want them to be prepared. I am in much prayer for my family. I want them to be w

Volunteer

   Want to make life rich and productive?  Volunteer.  Sound too simple?  It's not. There are so many ways one can do so, too.  Volunteering comes in so many packages and can involve so many things.  I think, for example, of the time I volunteered my girls and I to reshelf books for our local library.  That was a minimum time, minimum investment (just the cost of gas) event.  I'm not sure you could actually call it volunteering for the girls,as they had no choice in the matter.  Yes, parents, it is not only ok, but good, to volunteer your kids from time to time.     Since, as a homeschool family, we spent a decent amount of time at the library, this wasn't exactly foreign to us. As I recall, there was nothing new to learn, which is ok, but it is nice if it becomes a learning activity, as well.      I also helped at a government run agency during tax season, one year.  For this, I needed to learn some basic things, and take a quiz to show what I had learned.  The job, itse