Skip to main content

Listen to a Sermon

   I was tired and hungry and headed for home after working, when I heard part of a sermon by David Jeremiah on the book of Revelation.  I don't remember a whole awful lot other than the fact that Jews will definitely be persecuted and "Christians are always trying to play pin the tale on the Antichrist"(in other words, name him) and that nobody knows who he is. Hardly seems worthwhile, right?  Wrong.
    Let's be honest, how much do we actually recall from a specific Sunday morning sermon (sorry Pastor Doug)? Sometimes, not a whole awful lot.  I do try to remedy that by taking notes.  But, combine that with what you may learn in Sunday School, provided you go, plus, perhaps a Bible study midweek or Sunday evening, the individual daily reading of the Bible, devotionals, and blog posts, and it adds up to quite a bit. So, while I may not have learned a whole lot this evening, if we keep plugging away, it becomes quite a lot.
   Herein lies the key.  How many of us may/may not hear a weekly sermon?  How about a Sunday School lesson?  How about a Friday night sermon?  What you put in is what you'll get out.  Don't expect to think biblically because you occasionally go to church, occasionally read a devotional, or occasionally attend a Bible study. It just doesn't work that way. 
   Would we think we could earn enough money to see us through the week by working a few hours a week? How about every other?  I work four hours every other week.  Trust me, that's not going very far.  So, how do we think we can invest so little and reap very much?
    Make every day a day when you are exposed in one way or another to scripture.  Soon you'll think Biblically, pray Biblically, and act Biblically. What does your effort to hear the Bible, read the Bible, write the Bible, and/or memorize the Bible say about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tip for the Day - Contact

   John worked with my husband, Tom, for years.  After he retired, they kept in touch from time to time.  In fact, the last time my husband called him was shortly before he died in March.  We didn't know.     Today, my husband received a notice of his memorial service, but it was too late. Sadly, we had actually been in the very town for another memorial service the same day.  We could have easily made both, if we had been aware.    I called his wife to let her know that we were sorry we hadn't made it and to arrange a visit, soon.  That's when she told me that my husband's call, shortly before his death, had meant so much.  She said her husband really missed seeing the guys from work.  A simple call, and yet, a powerful act of friendship.   This evening, while on facebook, a private message popped up.  Years ago, our church had "adopted" a missionary kid.  We remembered her birthday and Christmas, among other things.  At one time, I assumed the task of kee

Of Life and Death

 At 63 years of age, I often think about my passing.  One of my concerns is the reaction of my children.  I see others my age who seem to be quite stuck by the loss of a parent.  I am not.  It would be so much more unnatural and traumatic if one of my children died.  That's just not supposed to happen!  But parents dying before me, that's pretty much a given. First, it starts with grandparents, great aunts and uncles, then filters down to parents and aunts and uncles.  There is only one remaining sibling on my dad's side; three for my mom (she was the oldest).There is no denying that I am at the top of the chain.  It's sobering. I hope my children's thoughts of me will be positive.  I hope they can smile; even shed a tear at times. What I don't wish for them is that they can't let go.  I want them to recognize that this is the order of things.  I want them to be expecting it.  I want them to be prepared. I am in much prayer for my family. I want them to be w

Number Your Days

   7,305 days.  That's approximately how many days I have left, if I live to the age my parents did. Of course, that is a big if. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.    Writing my mother's obituary, it seemed peculiar that almost 80 years could be summed up so easily.  I'm sure mine will be no different. The Bible says our life is but a vapor,here today and gone tomorrow.     I am 60.  I remember 40 like it was yesterday.  So, I know how quickly it is going to fly by.  I work for my neighbor and she pays me by the month.  It seems like she is always writing me a check.  The older I get, the quicker it goes.    But, boil it down to days, like the Bible recommends, and it really seems short. What to do?  1) Recognize the brevity. 2)Number your days, based on national averages or the lifespan of your parents, if they have passed on. 3)Apply your heart to wisdom.  When I taught my oldest, kindergarten (homeschool), there was a little ditty, wwwwwisdom is God's wwwwwway. How c