Skip to main content

Be a Giver

   What makes you feel like you have money?  A fat savings account?  The ability to buy something?  I'll never forget the conversation I had with my oldest daughter, Tabitha, when she was only in her twenties. I was comparing my husband's tendency to stash money away, versus my tendency to spend.  I said that I feel like I have money when I can use it for things I want and need, and he feels like he has money when he has a cushion to fall back upon.
     Then, she said something that took me aback.  She said that she felt like she had money when she was able to give. Ouch!  While part of me enjoys giving, there is, if I'll be honest, a part of me that doesn't want to.  There is a part of me that gets annoyed at even the requests.
      Just now, I wrote out a check to support Prison Fellowship in reaching out to children whose parent is in prison, by providing a summer camp experience.  Why would I want to do that?  Because, I think summer camp can be a very positive thing for any child.  My children had the privilege, and I want others to have it as well. 
      Sometimes, I give out of compassion.  Sometimes, I give because it seems like money well spent.  Sometimes, I give out of gratefulness for God's provision for me.  And sometimes, sadly, I give because I "have to".  No, no one is going to come knocking on my door, forcing me to do so, but God commands us to give to His work and to others less fortunate.
        And so, today, my tip is give.  Give because there are needs in the world.  Give because God commands it.  Give as an expression of gratefulness to God. 

If you give to others, you will be given a full amount in return. It will be packed down, shaken together, and spilling over into your lap. The way you treat others is the way you will be treated. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tip for the Day - Contact

   John worked with my husband, Tom, for years.  After he retired, they kept in touch from time to time.  In fact, the last time my husband called him was shortly before he died in March.  We didn't know.     Today, my husband received a notice of his memorial service, but it was too late. Sadly, we had actually been in the very town for another memorial service the same day.  We could have easily made both, if we had been aware.    I called his wife to let her know that we were sorry we hadn't made it and to arrange a visit, soon.  That's when she told me that my husband's call, shortly before his death, had meant so much.  She said her husband really missed seeing the guys from work.  A simple call, and yet, a powerful act of friendship.   This evening, while on facebook, a private message popped up.  Years ago, our church had "adopted" a missionary kid.  We remembered her birthday and Christmas, among other things.  At one time, I assumed the task of kee

Of Life and Death

 At 63 years of age, I often think about my passing.  One of my concerns is the reaction of my children.  I see others my age who seem to be quite stuck by the loss of a parent.  I am not.  It would be so much more unnatural and traumatic if one of my children died.  That's just not supposed to happen!  But parents dying before me, that's pretty much a given. First, it starts with grandparents, great aunts and uncles, then filters down to parents and aunts and uncles.  There is only one remaining sibling on my dad's side; three for my mom (she was the oldest).There is no denying that I am at the top of the chain.  It's sobering. I hope my children's thoughts of me will be positive.  I hope they can smile; even shed a tear at times. What I don't wish for them is that they can't let go.  I want them to recognize that this is the order of things.  I want them to be expecting it.  I want them to be prepared. I am in much prayer for my family. I want them to be w